Simple Decorated Cookies for Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day has become such a busy holiday so this post is about bringing back simplicity in the form of these simple decorated cookies for Valentine’s Day. Needing to rush around and making sure that every moment is perfect can often take away from what we are supposed to be celebrating – special, quality time with the person we love. This Valentine’s day, start a new tradition — staying in, cooking your favourite dish (together) and finishing with these simple, decorated and delectable Valentine’s day cookies. This way, everyone’s a winner! Including the cat who gets to spend more time with you, and your couch because the cat doesn’t get bored (that you left them at home alone) and scratch at your furniture.
These easy cookies are a treat for the eyes and the stomach and celebrate love.
What You’ll Need:
- food colouring: pink, red, white and black/grey
- royal icing, flood consistency
- no. 2 nozzle
What To Do:
- Bake your favourite batch of cookies. I talk about my favourite recipe in the Fancy French Black Cat Cookies post. Check it out and let me know your thoughts, or if you have a better cookie recipe! Once you have the cookies baked these simple decorated cookies for Valentine’s Day are quick and easy to finish.
- Mix up a portion of Royal Icing (to flood consistency). Separated into different bowls, ready for you to mix in the different colours you need.
- Set up your space and make sure you have all your tools within arms reach.
- Outline your cookies with your base colour and flood them.
- While the flooded base is still wet, add decoration in a contrasting colour. Adding the decoration while wet will mean that the cookie will be flat when dry. If you wait for the base to dry a little the decoration will sit on top and create a 3D effect.
- Use your toothpick to pop any air bubbles and fix any mistakes with your pictures.
- Use the toothpick to move icing colour from the cat cheeks to make whiskers.
- Eat and enjoy!