10 Reasons Why Cats Are Better Than Dogs
This question is asked so many times, and for many people it is a crucial test of someone’s personality. In fact, this question about whether you prefer cats or dogs is often included on dating sites for that very reasons. Now, of course, there are pros and cons to either side of the argument, and it is also totally possible to be both a cat person and a dog person. However, today we are going to argue for the ‘cat side’ of the matter! So, without further ado, here are 10 reasons why cats are better than dogs.
1. Cats are cleverer. Though they may have quite small brains, cats still have nearly twice as many neurons in their brains as dogs do. In fact, studies have shown that cats can understand every word that their owners speak: they just do not deign to reply.
2. Cats are less expensive to keep than dogs. Adding up vet bills, toys and so on shows that if you are on a budget, a cat is a better pet to have than a dog.
3. Keeping a cat is better for the environment. Looking at their food, medicine and other needs demonstrates that cats have a smaller carbon footprint than dogs do.
4. Cats groom themselves. Well, most cats do. There is no need to brush or bathe them: they are constantly pampering themselves! So low maintenance!
5. Cats do not need to be walked. Sleeping for over 10 hours per day really takes it out of you! Whilst cats are generally happy just to chill out for most of the day, a dog requires a whole lot more effort and exercise to look after.
6. Cats are more sensitive. Their senses of smell and eyesight are better than dogs’. On average, anyway. And, they are much better than ours. To give an example, cats can see in light levels that are six times lower than the levels of light that humans can cope with.
7. You do not need a large house or backyard to keep a cat. A cat can be perfectly happy in a small apartment, as long as it has lots of toys, love and affection. A dog, on the other hand, cannot stay cooped up in a small place like this. So cats are the ideal pet for people who do not have much space to call their own.
8. Cats cheer you up! Cats have a therapeutic quality: you do not need a scientific study to tell you that stroking a purring cat can life your mood, calm you down, and generally de stress your mind.
9. Cats have a complex language, which they use to communicate with us – if only we made the effort to understand them! A recent study conducted in North America showed that cats use around 24 different vocalizations to express different thoughts and requests. So pay attention the next time that your cat is speaking to you!
10. Cats purr. There’s something magical about that sound, wouldn’t you agree? Not least because it tells you that your feline friend is happy.
Are there any other reasons we have missed?